THANK YOU EVERYONE!
CADD's 2020 conference was amazing. We look forward to sharing highlights of the weekend with you soon.
The Collegium for African Diaspora Dance (CADD) fourth bi-annual conference aimed to provoke enlivened discussions on the power and politics of global Black Dance by bringing together scholars, practitioners, educators, and other stakeholders for three days of intellectual and artistic inspiration in Durham.
Our 2020 conference theme, Fluid Black::Dance Back centered African diaspora dance as a resource and method of creative and aesthetic possibility in pursuit of the following lines of inquiry:
- How do dance and movement practices across the African diaspora create space for fluidity in gender, race, sexuality, ability, and other markers of identity?
- How does race, gender, class and sexuality inform African diaspora dance communities, broadly defined?
- What kinds of resistant practices does Black Dance offer to combat gendered and raced based discrimination, violence and brutality?
- In what ways does Black Dance engender mobility on and off the dance floor or concert stage?
- How does African diaspora dance help us to queer pedagogical pathways for dance in higher education?
- How does Black Dance render Blackness visible in the absence of Black bodies?
The Collegium for African Diaspora Dance (CADD) is an egalitarian community of scholars and artists committed to exploring, promoting, and engaging African diaspora dance as a resource and method of aesthetic identity. Through conferences, roundtables, publications and public events, we aim to facilitate interdisciplinary inquiry that captures the variety of topics, approaches, and methods that might constitute Black Dance Studies. A diverse gathering of dance scholars and community members, The Collegium for African Diaspora Dance was conceptualized by its founding members and first convened in April 2012 as the African Diaspora Dance Research Group at Duke University.
Founding Executive Board
Thomas F. DeFrantz
Takiyah Nur Amin
Andrea E. Woods Valdés
C. Kemal Nance
Ava LaVonne Vinesett
Nadine George Graves